Posts Tagged ‘nutrition’
November 26, 2012
His answer? ” ‘Dose-response data’ might not be strong enough to define an RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance), but I’m going to take a stand: An intake of 35 g/day of 70% or higher is healthy.”
Jaminet’s conclusion is based on a look at data from studies that have been done around the world on how organic cacao, eaten as dark chocolate of 70% or higher, affects the body.
While chocolate has not yet been recognized as an essential nutrient – yet – it is becoming more and more certain that organic cacao has some definite health benefits. Thus, a number of nutritionists are starting to list chocolate, if not as “essential,” then at least as an important “supplementary” food that should be consumed regularly.
March 20, 2012
Mayesa is packed with great nutrition, starting with organic cacao – the purest form of chocolate. This is blended together with such things as pea protein and rice, along with special spices, for an unusually indulgent nutritional source.
And that’s just the beginning of the amazing nutrition of Mayesa.
Here’s more: Mayesa contains no cholesterol and no trans fats.
What Mayesa does contain is:
1. Antioxidants – Cacao contains a higher
2. Magnesium – supports the heart, brain, and digestive system
3. Iron – 314% of RDA of Iron per ounce serving.
4. Theobromine – dilates the cardiovascular system, making the heart’s job easier
5. Anandamide – An endorphin known as the “Bliss Chemical” that is released naturally by the body after exercise and is found in Cacao
Nutritional Bonus! Mayesa is dairy-free, gluten-free,soy-free, and VEGAN!
Isn’t it great to have a way of making sure you get great nutrition on a daily basis, and indulge in healthy chocolate at the same time? Can’t beat it!
About National Nutrition Month
National Nutrition Month is an annual campaign sponsored by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to promote nutrition awareness and education. It originated in 1973 as “National Nutrition Week” and expanded to the month-long observance in 1980 in response to growing public interest in nutrition.
The theme changes each year, but it always focuses on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. This year’s theme, “Eat Right with Color,” provides an easy way to focus on improving eating habits — simply include plenty of color on your plate. And the rich brown of healthy organic cacao is a great color to add to your nutritional palette!
December 20, 2011
Besides reversing “o’s” and “a’s” in the spelling of these two words, technically there is no real difference in the meanings. Our modern pronunciation of “cocoa” is how the British mistakenly pronounced “cacao” when the food was first introduced to the British Isles.
Today the FDA defines cacao as the source bean, and cocoa powder (along with chocolate liquor and cocoa butter) as products. At the time these products are processed from the cacao bean, they are still raw and unsweetened.
It’s when a long refining process that adds sugar, other flavorings, and chemicals to lengthen shelf life are added to the chocolate product that “cocoa” veers widely from natural, raw, cacao. And during the refining process much of the antioxidants are destroyed by the heat.
Since that is what most consumers think of as cocoa, that’s where the difference lies.
Most chocolate candy, cakes, cookies, ice cream and milk sold to the American public contain only 10% raw cocoa and the other 90% is made up of high caloric, high carbohydrate sugar, cream, oils, etc. Many of these commercial items contain transfats, and up to 40 grams of sugar.
For example, “milk chocolate” contains just 10% pure chocolate liquor while dark chocolate has a minimum of 75%. When sold as candy bars, both, of course, also contain sugars and fats.
This is why it’s been hammered into our heads for years that to eat healthy is to stay away from chocolate, and no wonder since chocolate in the supermarket form has had most of the original nutritional qualities processed out.
Mayesa uses organic raw cacao. In this state cacao contains the highest concentration of antioxidants by weight – more than acai, blueberries, pomegranates, red wine and goji berries. It is also a natural source of iron, magnesium, and theobromine (which supports the cardiovascular system).
When you drink Mayesa, you are getting all of the rich chocolate flavor and natural nutrients of cacao, and none of the refined sugars, transfats , and nutrient loss of that “other cocoa.”
Photo Credit: zupas.com